Microsoft gets closer to the general availability of its new “Microsoft Defender” app for Windows 11 (via @ALumia_Italia), a new security product designed to protect Windows devices as well as phones (Android and iPhone) and macOS computers.
See also this video walking you through the new security app from Microsoft at the Pureinfotech YouTube channel.
The company has been working on this product for a number of months, and it’s now available as a preview through the Microsoft Store for users in the United States.
No, Microsoft is not planning to charge you money for the “Microsoft Defender Antivirus” that comes built into Windows 11 and Windows 10. That will remain as it’s today. The “Microsoft Defender” app is a new offering meant to provide a unified dashboard to manage your online security for a family of devices, including Windows 11, Windows 10, macOS, iPhone, and Android devices, connected with the same Microsoft account.
The app will offer real-time notifications, security tips, and recommended steps to protect your devices from hackers and malicious code.
In addition, you will be able to add or remove devices and view malware protection across all your devices (up to four).
These are the features, according to the Store listing:
- A centralized view to manage and monitor your online security status.
- See your devices in one place.
- Easily add or remove devices.
- Easily view your malware protection for you and your family
- Get continuous protection with antivirus scans that check for harmful apps already on your phone and computer, and new apps.
- Control what is scanned by identifying trusted apps and files that you consider safe.
- Stay up to date about changes to your security status with real-time alerts.
- Get recommended actions for greater data, computer, and phone protection.
- Take advantage of security tips about how to stay safer online.